New in the Shop!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Amazing Bi-Directional Striped Tube Cowl

My parents gave me a Crazy Zauberball for Christmas. For the uninitiated, that's a yarn brand, not a German sex toy. I've long coveted a Zauberball, but once I had it in my hands, I had no idea what to do with it. I didn't need another stripy shawl right now, it seemed a shame to put the pretty colours on my feet, I wasn't feeling mitts. Then I remembered the Chevroid I made my sister for Christmas. I hated making the chevrons, but the essence of the project was a quick, easy knit.


Without much consideration for the final product, I provisionally cast on enough stitches to go around my 17" circular US size 5 needle, joined in the round, and started striping from both ends of the ball. Four rounds from the inside, four from the outside, repeat until yarn is gone, graft ends together.

Some of the stripes are 3 and 5 rounds, because the colours synced up and had to be chastised.
It's a seamless bi-directional tube, like a donut but less delicious. Simple as that!

I took these pictures while waiting (forever) for the dog to pee. This is exactly how amused I am by his absurdly specific needs for location, noise level, and wind direction.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    And platinum! You hottie, you. xx
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colors! My congrats on your new finished prohject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Is there a good way to make the transition point between stripes smooth? Did you just carry the yarn that wasn't in use along on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do anything to hide the jogs in the stripes, beyond making sure the stitches were nice and snug, I carried the yarn up the inside. My favourite thing about that? Didn't weave a single end - just stuffed them inside the tube. Very sneaky :)

      Delete